Summertime is the perfect time to get outside more and reap the benefits of Mother Nature. Just because many places are still shut down, it doesn’t mean this summer needs to go to waste. There are so many activities that you can do to soak in the sunshine, and you may even find your mental and physical health improve the more time you in the outdoors!
- Bring your workout outdoors.
- Head to the beach. New Hampshire beaches are open for walking, running, swimming, and surfing so there is an activity for everyone!
- Go for a hike. If you don’t want to go by yourself, bring a friend to hang out social distancing style.
- Ride a bike.
- Read a book.
- Draw with sidewalk chalk. Chalk is not just for kids –tap into your creative side and see what you can make!
- Toss a Frisbee.
- Pick up trash. Just because it’s not Earth Day doesn’t mean there isn’t any trash to pick up!
- Go for a swim.
However, these fun activities in the summer come with some special considerations. In the summer, the sun is closer to the Earth, making it much easier to get sunburns. Sunscreen is your answer to enjoying the beautiful weather while protecting your skin from the harmful UV rays. So, fish out the sunscreen from the bottom of your beach bag, and start wearing it regularly. Be sure to apply it 15-30 minutes before going outside, even when it is cloudy out. Once outside, continue to apply it regularly (about every 2 hours) to ensure proper coverage.
Most everyone knows the importance of drinking water often throughout the day, but when you are busy, it can be easy to forget. In the summer, when it is hot out, drinking water is even more important, especially if you are losing water through sweat. As soon as you feel thirsty, start hydrating immediately, and keep a water bottle with you to have water available whenever you need it. You can also snack on fresh fruits and vegetables that have a high water content.
Summer is the perfect time to soak inthe sun and spend time in nature. So, grab your sunscreen and water bottle, and get outdoors!